Friday, June 4, 2010

A birthday note to my Grandpa on his 90th!


Hey Grandpa Wood!  I love you and admire you so much.  My experience of working at 3 nursing homes as a CNA has really helped me come to appreciate what a fiery, enthusiastic, fun, deep, and perfect grandpa you are!  I wish I could spend more time with you.  Thank you for being there for me.  I've only heard the hand-me down stories of "No mama, no papa, no bungalo" and I can't remember if I was there when you pulled the tiger's tail at the zoo, but I do remember all the kindness you and Beverly have shown to Megan and I.  I would always look forward to spending the night at your house because I felt so much love in your home.  I loved being praised for playing my oboe even though the notes may have been squeaky and off pitch.  It was always my goal to defeat you and Beverly at our favorite game, Sequence.  I loved knowing there were always Golden Crisps in your cupboard.  I loved your "hair raising" bed time stories you made up even if I had to shake you awake halfway through them.  I remember two occasions when Megan and I spent the night at your house.  The first was the night we went to dairy queen and got ice cream at the drive through window.  Megan and I rolled our eyes at the way you shouted into the speakers.  I remember you asked the lady if she knew about the mormons.  You wanted so desperately to carry on a conversation even though there was miles of cars behind us waiting for their turn to order a tasty treat.  Once you finally got around to ordering you said, "Can we have a chocolate cone and two squirrels?" (We told you swirl meaning chocolate and vanilla.)  Megan and I laughed at you for that the rest of the night.  You always know how to make us laugh.
The second overnight adventure I remember is spending Easter with you and Beverly because our parents went to Brazil.  I remember being slightly disappointed because I wasn't able to spend the holiday at my own house, but it ended up being my favorite Easter.  You took me out to the hospital for an easter egg hunt in the morning and Megan and I were given easter baskets and easter dresses.  We went to church with you.  I loved that experience because I got to see your passion for the gospel of Jesus Christ first hand.  I have the best Grandpa in the world.  Thank you for raising my mom to be such an outstanding and charitable mother.  Thank you for your hard work and passion for family.  Thank you for being a worthy priesthood holder.  I love you and hope you have a great birthday!  Oh....and remember DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ALRIGHT??

2 comments:

Kameron said...

love it Kay Kay!

Winters Wonderland said...

I loved reading this too Katie! Thanks :D